I have explained the basics of Search Engine Optimization in the beginning of this series of post, so you should be having some idea about SEO and it’s importance. Optimizing your blog for search engines is very important because you will be getting a lot of traffic from search engines which is free and you get real visitors who are searching for information. They will be new to your blog and could become your regular visitors or your customer.
Visitors from search engines come to your blog when they search for some information that they are looking for. Now the task is to get your posts listed in search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. I would give much priority to Google because its the most used search engine and if we comply with the rules of Google or the Google Webmaster Guidelines, then its fine.
If you are using WordPress and the All in One SEO plugin then 70% of your SEO work is done. You should have the settings for AIOSEO plugin done correctly or you may have negative effect rather than getting things good for your blog.
Some tips which you should keep in mind while you are writing a post for your blog
- Right title – Title has a lot of weight to get your post listed for a particular query. Your title should be able to explain the reader in few words what your post is about. It should have some keywords which will be good for getting on top of Google SERPs (Search Engine Result Pages).
- Write post for readers and not search engines– I see lot of people writing posts stuffed with keywords to get their post ranked high for certain keywords. We should make sure that the readers are not getting annoyed reading your post and leave. We should use some keywords inside the post which should look very much natural.
- Link your posts– If you want to add up some information on some topic, its would be better to link to that particular post rather than copying those information and pasting on your page.
- Original and unique content– Don’t copy and paste content from other sites. You may have problem with search engines if you are creating duplicate pages.
- Getting backlinks – Don’t try to buy links to build up SEO. Wait for natural links. If you are writing unique posts, you will surely start getting backlinks automatically.
- Search Engine Optimized Templates– Use templates which are optimized for search engines. Most of the professional WordPress templates are done well, so go for good one.
- Don’t Sell Links– Make it a rule that you will never sell links and if you do so, link it will the tag “rel=nofollow” or you may get banned by search engines like Google. If you are writing paid reviews on your blog, make sure that all your out going links to the product website are with the rel=nofollow tag.
- Internal Linking – Besides linking to other sites, you should also link to your own posts. This gives a better ranking for your linked pages and always use the right anchor text. Anchor text has a lot of importance inranking.
- No Blackhat SEO Tricks Please– Don’t try to do anything that are misleading the search engines like hidden texts, link farm, etc. It will surely effect your search engine ranking.
- Don’t worry much about PageRank, its an algorithm by Google to rank web pages. The ranking is done looking into various factors which includes backlinks, Google Trust, etc. Google does not want any webmasters to artificially try to influence the Pagerank, so better leave it aside and work to build a better blog for your readers than search engines. If readers are liking your blog, they will link to your blog and you will rank better or search engines.
Search Engine optimization is very much important as we can do well only when we get traffic and search engines are the best way to get free and valuable traffic. There are no easy shortcuts to get ranked well on search engines, but we need to follow the webmasters guidelines.