Can Diabetes be the reason for weight loss? What is the relationship between body weight and diabetes?
Over weight or obesity is one of the reasons for diabetes. There are many diabetic people who lose weight even when they are taking proper treatments, diet, etc.
Reason for weight loss when diabetic
In diabetes, due to lack of insulin prevents the body from getting glucose from the blood into the body cell to use as energy, so fat and muscles are broken down which causes weight loss
How to gain weight when you are diabetic?
For a normal person, increasing the calories input is the way to increase weight, but for a diabetes person, this could shoot up the blood glucose levels or the dosage medications for diabetes would need to be increased which is not healthy and advisable
How to gain weight when you are diabetic without shooting up the blood glucose level?
Consult your diabetologist / dietician and advice needs to be taken
- Increase 500 calories of diet for a day
- Go for a low carb, night fat and protein diet
- Whey Protein is ideal – Check out other diabetic friendly supplements
- Eating smaller portions more frequently
- Work out and weight training would help build muscles, increase appetite
A high-calorie, nutrient-dense snack is a better choice for someone trying to manage their blood sugar and gain weight.
Diabetic friendly snacks
- full-fat Greek yogurt with granola
- apple with peanut butter – Fruits that are good for diabetes
- banana and walnuts
- whole-grain toast with avocado and chia seeds
- Healthy Fats
- seeds (such as pumpkin or flax)
- nuts, spreads, and oils (including olive, canola, sunflower, rapeseed, and peanut)
- fatty fish (such as salmon, mackerel, herring, sardines, and tuna)
- nut butter (for example almond or cashew butter)
- Higher-calorie foods that are also rich in nutrients include:nuts, seeds avocado, nut, butter, coconut
Conclusion on Diabetes and weight loss
Diabetics is of the reasons that could cause weight loss. Find out your target weight and work towards reaching your target and more importantly, you need to maintain it.