Diabetes is a condition which can be taken care naturally. You need to understand the kind of Food to eat if you have diabetes. If you are having the right food in right quantity at the right time, you can help yourself to keep a good control over diabetes.
Being diabetic, it’s important to know what are the active ingredients of the food? You need to understand if the food you are eating has Carbohydrates, Sugar, protein, Vitamins, etc.
For simplicity, lets classify food into Proteins, Carbohydrates and Fat.
If you are diabetic, you have to go for low carb diet, high protein and high fat diet. Do not eat any sugar products.
List of Foods to avoid with diabetes
- Sugar and Sugar Products – No food that has direct sugar, like chocolates, candies, sweets should be taken. It’s not just for your diabetes, but it is bad for your health in all ways.
- High Carbohydrates – You should avoid high carb food like rice, wheat, processed food, Maida. Even if you have, it’s good if you can have in less quantity and not the processed one or polished ones. Any food make for rice, wheat, all purpose flour (refined flour / Maida)
- Alcohol – No forms of alcohol is good for a diabetic person. You should avoid as much as possible, once in a while is ok, if your diabetes is under control.
- Food with High Glycemic Index (GI Value) – Every food has a glycemic index which is a numeric value between 0-100. The lower the value, the better for a diabetic person.
It is important for you to understand how a particular food reacts when consumed by you. I suggest that when you try a new food, get your blood glucose level before having the food and after 2 hours of having the food. You get a better realistic idea of how that particular food is working for you.
Artificial sweeteners are of some rescue if you are diabetic of on a weight loss program, but to be using it for long term in higher quantity would not be recommended. I suggest natural sweeteners like Stevia if you need some sweetness for your coffee.
List of Food to eat if you have diabetes
- High Protein Diet – Eggs / Chicken – Having some eggs, Chicken breast will help you get good protein, fill your stomach and control on hunger. Would provide required nutrients for your day to day activities. If you are a person who works out or do weight training, then you should have good protein everyday.
- Low Glycemic Index Vegetables – Ladies Finger, Methi (Fenugreek) leaves, Capsicum, Green leaves, broccoli, Asparagus, etc
- Low Glycemic Index Fruits – Plums, avocado, Jackfruit – The Fruit List for Diabetics
- Butter / Home Made Ghee, Coconut oil, Grape Seed Oil
- Whey protein / Casein protein
- Dry fruits like almonds, Walnuts, etc
- Almond Milk, Soya Milk, Coconut milk
- Bamboo Rice – Good for Diabetic Patients
This list of Food to eat if you have diabetes is not limited to the one listed above. You will find many more natural food that would be good to have if you are diabetic.
Some food that will help you drop spiked Blood Sugar Level
- Methi Seeds (Fenugreek Seeds)
- Ladies Finger
- Cinnamon Bark
- Bitter Gaud
- Curry leaves
Food that Prevents Diabetes
There are no food that prevents diabetes. Diabetes is a condition that could happen to any healthy or a disciplined lifestyle person.
Have as much as natural food, avoid processed food, chemicals, too much of unnecessary medications, etc
There are many known reasons that could cause diabetes
- Too much of processed food
- Stress – Personal or professional
- Any reasons or health conditions that could damage pancreas which produces insulin when needed.
- No regular physical exercises
Besides having the right diet, there are some important things that you need to follow to keep your diabetes under control
Suggested Reading – Diagnosis – How I came to know that I am Diabetic ?
- Regular health check ups
- Regular exercise
- Proper Sleep
- Proper Stress Management
To be very clear there are no real cure for diabetes, but there are ways to keep your diabetes under control, there are no food to cure diabetes, but there is food to keep your blood glucose level near normal.