Last Updated: March 1, 2018 at 6:15 pm
History of Surya Namaskar Yoga Asanas
Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutation (surya namaskar meaning) is first performed by Hindu worshippers to the Sun deity. Now it is practiced universally irrespective of the religion. It consists of a set of asana devised to tone up all the systems of the body. It is dynamic, slimming and highly invigorating.Like most forms of exercise, Surya Namaskar provides mental benefits to regular practitioners. You will feel wonderful after performing the Sun Salutation. It is relaxing and rejuvenating, and tension, stress and anxiety melt away as you perform Surya Namaskar
How much are you concerned of your weight and health in your busy day schedule?
But the present generation is very cautious about their health even though they freak out while eating and they are finding their own time for exercises, like Going Gym, aerobics, fitness club, jogging, using treadmill, crash weight loss program and of course practicing yoga.
Whether you practice yoga regularly or not, you can enjoy the health benefit of Surya Namaskar. You don’t need to be doing yoga regularly to practice the Surya Namaskar. Surya Namaskar is a complete technique suiting most busy people of today.
I started practicing Surya Namaskar as a device to reduce my weight. It is a combination of stretches and breath control. There are 12 different poses to do in Surya Namaskar. Check out the below image for all the surya namaskar postures.
Surya Namaskar Images step by step
Stand with feet joined and hands folded in front of the chest (normal breathing)
Raise hands and bend backward ( inhale)
Bend forward and place the hands flat on the floor. You may bend knees in the beginning (exhale)
Stretch the right leg back while bending the left knee & lowering the torso. Stretch the neck backwards (inhale)
Lifting the hips take the left foot back to join the right foot. Lower your head. The body takes a triangular position (exhale)
Lower the body to the floor. Let the chin, chest and knees rest on the floor but not the stomach. It will be very difficult until you get a body balance on your arms (hold breathing)
Drop the stomach. Lift your head and raise the upper body. The abdomen should remain on the floor. Now it is the Bhujangasana Position (inhale)
Lift the hips up to the triangular position of Pose 5 (exhale)
Bring the left foot forward and assume pose 4 (inhale)
Straighten your legs and raise hips in the Pose 3 (exhale)
Raise hands above your head and bend backwards and assume pose 2 (inhale)
Fold hands and bring them down to the chest, like in the starting position (exhale)
To complete one round of Surya Namaskar, one such cycle has to be done with the right foot in front and left leg stretched back.
Health benefits of Surya Namaskar
Surya Namaskar can be done in the morning, noon and evening. But preferably in the morning time since traditionally yoga is practised early in the morning as the atmosphere is charged with Prana and it should be practiced on an empty stomach
- If it is done in the morning, it relieves stiffness, revitalizes your body and refreshes the mind. Do it during the day and it will instantly boost you up. Practice it after sunset, it helps you unwind.
- it stimulates cardiovascular system, digestive system and nervous system
- It makes endocrinal glands like thyroid, parathyroid and pituitary glands function normally
- It gives you a great stretch and keep you fit physically, mentally and emotionally
- It helps you to overcome the problem of insomnia (sleeplessness in the night)
Surya Namaskar for Weight Loss
Regular practice of Surya Namaskar with proper diet will definitely reduces the body weight and makes the body very flexible. It may not be easy in the beginning but gradually you will be surprised to see the result in your body.
Check out this video
Recently Updated Posts
- Crossed 1000 Subscribers and 4000 watch hours ( July 22, 2018)
- Monetisation Enabled for my Travel Channel – Approved to Join YouTube Partner Program ( July 16, 2018)
- Starting my new Personal Vlog – Kishore’s Vlog ( July 8, 2018)
- Reaching 200 subscribers on YouTube Channel ( June 11, 2018)
- How I reached 500 Subscribers organically? YouTube Channel ( April 23, 2018)
- Free Music / Audio for your YouTube Videos ( April 6, 2018)