Last Updated: February 27, 2018 at 9:13 pm
I have been working in Maldives for the past 16 years.
I work for a private healthcare company which is based in Male’, – the capital of Maldives
Today I am going to talk about some common questions which could come into the minds of expatriates who are looking for a job in the Maldives or who already have got a offer to join
I will answer to the following 4 questions
- How safe is Maldives for an expatriate?
- How is the living condition for a working foriegner in maldives
- What is the cost of living in Maldives?
- Are there any kind of taxes for the income generated in Maldives?
- Bonus Information for new commers to Maldives.
If you have any other question, please post it in the comment box. I will try to answer that.
Living and Working in Maldives
1. Safety in Maldives for a Foreigner working in Maldives– As on today, it is a safe place to work as far as an expatriate is concerned. You need to make sure you follow the laws of the country and respect all around you. Be focused on your work and do not get involved by any means into local matters like politics or other sensitive issues. Try not to wander outside during odd hours. Alcohol is banned in all the inhabitted island in the Maldives,so be careful. So if you want to have a drink what should you do? I have information on this in my bonus Tips.
2. Living Conditions for Expatriates working in Maldives – This would depend upon your job , employer, working environment, salary and other benefits. Its the responsibility of the employer to take care of the food and accommodation of every expatriate employee. So if you have a good package, you get a good apartment and good food allowance. If you need to spend from your salary for the rent, then you would not have anything left for savings.
3. Cost of living in Maldives for expats working in Maldives – Cost of living is very high compared to the neighbouring contries like India and Sri Lanka. It is very high in the capital Male’ or Hulhumale’. In the remote islands, it is less comparitively. Regarding healthcare, every expatriate has a insurance if admitted, or it would depend on the employer if he gets a insurance coverage. – Further Reading – Cost of Living and Salary in Maldives
4. Taxes for an expatriates working in Maldives – No income tax as on today, but you have to pay 3% remittance tax when you send money home through the bank.
Check out the video below which explains about living and working in Maldives, cost of living in Maldives and how safe is Maldives?
- Make sure you have a valid work visa with the right profession
- Check out the location of your work. Maldives consist of more than 1000 islands, out of which about 250 are inhabited and there are about 200 resorts.
- You cannot posses or have alcohol in any inhabited islands – You can go to a resort or hotel to have a drink which is very costly.
- If you are in Male’, you get everything you need by just walking not more than 10 minutes because, it’s a very small island with a area of about 4 sq kms.
- If you are in a remote island, then the facilities are limited.
- Male’ the capital island is very near to the aiport – 5 minutes on a boat.
That’s all for now – getting late to work –
Have a great day
Expatriates Working in Maldives – Common Questions
Recently Updated Posts
- Crossed 1000 Subscribers and 4000 watch hours ( July 22, 2018)
- Monetisation Enabled for my Travel Channel – Approved to Join YouTube Partner Program ( July 16, 2018)
- Starting my new Personal Vlog – Kishore’s Vlog ( July 8, 2018)
- Reaching 200 subscribers on YouTube Channel ( June 11, 2018)
- How I reached 500 Subscribers organically? YouTube Channel ( April 23, 2018)
- Free Music / Audio for your YouTube Videos ( April 6, 2018)