I started my YouTube Channel in 2008, but that was for posting some tutorial videos for the products that I was developing and selling. I had even done some video testimonials, affiliate marketing and so on. I kept my Channel dead for almost 10 years when I was focusing on my full time job. I never thought about posting any videos as I did not have any reasons to do so. One other thing I used to do with my YouTube channel was to generate sales for my products (WordPress Plugins) by posting WordPress Tutorials. In this post I am sharing some tips for new youtubers which could be helpful to budding channels on YouTube.
Now after 10 years I have got regular in posting videos on my same channel. The reason for getting active on my video channel is that I travel a lot for official as well as personal reasons. I do write some notes and post photos on my blog, but when I saw few travel videos, I thought, why should I not shoot videos when I travel and maintain a travel channel. That’s the history of my YouTube Channel and I think I can call myself a YouTuber.
During this two months, I went through some great experiences, readings and research on YouTube Channel, YouTube SEO, YouTube ban on Adsense earnings and so on. I decided to start a blog which is fully dedicated to YouTube and share all my experience related to YouTube so that others could get some help especially new YouTubers.
Top Tips for New YouTubers – New YouTube Channels
1. Be consistent in Posting your videos
Your every next video is going to give you a new lesson. You will keep improving the quality and presentation of every video that you make. Even the top YouTubers first video would be a mess compared to the recent one. Let’s try one example, go your favourite or competitors channel, go to the videos tab and sort them to show the oldest on the top. Watch that Video, you will see, how that person started and how is he doing now. Check out the views of the oldest few videos and views of the recent videos. So consistent posting of videos to keep your channel fresh is very important. How many videos a week or a month is something that you should decide. I suggest at least 2 videos a week. This is one of the important tips for new youtubers and everyone should follow.
2. Length of Video – Editing to the core
Your video should be well-edited without repetitions to keep your viewers glued to the video. If you are going to add all the clips that you shot, your viewer will look for another video. Atleast watch your video 2-3 times and edit till you feel it is done. Very important, if you yourself feel that the scene or shot is too lengthy or boring, just cut that out before you publish.
Add good audio, you can get free musics from YouTube itself or there are many other services.
3. YouTube SEO – Optimize your videos for better search results
Optimize your Video for Search Engines as well as YouTube searches. Your video should show up in related videos as well as suggested videos. These are the major sources of traffic to your video, so as a beginner, you will have to put some extra effort on YouTube SEO. This is one of the most important tips for a new YouTuber
- Video Title – Give a real meaningful title to the video
- Video Description – You can be as descriptive as you can about what the video is about
- Tags – These should be the keywords that users would use to search your video
Check out this detailed post on YouTube SEO for beginners
4. Create Public Playlists
Organise your videos into public playlists. You can even add good videos other than yours to these playlist. Your playlists can get listed in search or can come up as suggested videos. YouTube playlists would not only give you views from searches, but also get listed in related videos, increase audience retention watching related videos one after the other in the playlist. When you create playlist, have a good explanatory title with keyword rich description, but make sure that you don’t be spam.
Check out this page for more about setting up playlist
5. Don’t Invest much on hardware and Softwares
hardware – You should start off with simple gadgets and tools. I suggest to start with a mobile camera which I did. I got my first action camera Sony FDR x3000 only after 25 videos, then I got a Canon G7X after 75 videos. I decided to upgrade my gadgets as I felt the real need. You can even continue with a good mobile camera which I feel is the best. You should have some good Selfie Sticks which should be more than enough.
Softwares – Go for free softwares like iMovie or many available for editing your video for the beginning. Once you feel the need of upgrade, you can go for Final Cut Pro if you are a Mac user.
The reason I say that you should not invest too much is that you should not feel the pain of investment Vs returns. You do not make a single penny unless you have some good number of videos having some good number of subscribers, views and watch time.
There are many other services which help you in improving your YouTube Videos in search ranking, analysing competitors, getting the right keywords, etc. Just try all the possible free versions, later you can go for paid ones if you really feel so.
6. Engage your visitors by Comments / Sharing / Liking
It is very important to make your visitors, comment on your YouTube Videos, share it with their friends. Ask your viewers to give a thumbs up if they like the video as your closing remarks. Comments, Likes, Shares and very strong indicators to rank high for YouTube searches.
7. Don’t be shy to share your videos to your friends and family
Many of us do shy away in sharing their work with the people they know. Even I am a person who is shy to share my videos with my friends. This takes a bit of time to get the confidence to face the camera, talk to your audience and so on.
8. Don’t become a YouTuber because you heard that YouTubers earn a lot of money
There is a big misunderstanding that like make money blogging trend, there is a make money YouTube trend. There are no shortcuts to make money from YouTube, I have listed out some tips for new YouTubers, experienced people also could learn something from this.
Suggested Reading – how to start a career in youtube
9. Keep yourself updated with everything that are going on around YouTube
You should keep yourself updated with all the news around YouTube. There may be change in policies, rules and regulations which would be very important for YouTubers. I suggest following YouTube on Twitter, follow the YouTube Blog for all the latest announcements,
Further Reading Tips for new YouTubers
Some Latests Tips for fresh YouTubers
Here are some ways to make money from YouTube other than Google Adsense
Hope these tips for new YouTubers are helpful, please should out your comments if you have anything to add to these tips / tricks for YouTubers
Tips for New YouTubers
- How to fly a drone in India safely? Fly without fear Posted in: Technology - Flying drones in India without the UID registration is illegal. As of now the registration process is held up as… Read More
- Must have Gadgets for New YouTubers Posted in: YouTubers - As a new YouTuber, I decided to start a channel and use everything that I already have until I start… Read More
- Best Camera for a New YouTuber – Canon G7X Mark II Posted in: YouTube Video Creation - Which is the best camera for a new YouTuber? I started my YouTube channel with videos shot on my iPhone… Read More
- Canon 80D 20 days experience of a new YouTuber Posted in: YouTube Video Creation - I had been using Canon G7X Mark II , Sony FDR x3000 and my iPhone X as my cameras and… Read More
- YouTube – Hide Subscribers count Posted in: YouTubers - There is a very specific reason to hide the subscribers count when you have just started. It's not great to… Read More
- Tips for New YouTubers – Sharing My Experiences on growing a YouTube Channel Posted in: YouTubers - I have been video blogging / vlogging for almost 6 months now. Created a new channel and a playlist to… Read More
- Monetisation Enabled for my Travel Channel – Approved to Join YouTube Partner Program Posted in: YouTubers - First thing that most of us do when we wake is check out mobile notifications. I do this most of… Read More
- How I reached 500 Subscribers organically? YouTube Channel Posted in: Tips And Tricks - It has been 4 months since I starting posting videos regularly and working really hard to get my videos viewed… Read More
- Some FAQ’s Related to YouTube Channels Posted in: Tips And Tricks - What is the YouTube Channel Banner Size? YouTube Channel Banner size is 2560 x 1440 pixels. Minimum Dimensions for upload… Read More
- YouTube Channel Branding – Increase Subscribers Posted in: Tips And Tricks - YouTube Branding Watermark Subscribe - If you are a YouTuber or a Vlogger, you should be knowing all about YouTube… Read More